8/11/2007

Bugs

Jerusalem Cricket or Potato Bug

There are some things I am not going to miss about Farmington. A couple of them are creepy crawlers.
yellow legged centipede


That's a ruler in both pictures -- in inches... you can click on the images for a larger view.
The top one is a Jerusalem cricket and it feeds on roots and tubers.
The bottom one is a giant desert centipede. We have 2 varieties of centipede here and one has a pretty toxic bite. Both are predators and eat lizards and mice. This one is a little flat but I think Jim found it before I did.
Is it just me or is there something just a little unsettling about a bug that eats lizards and mice.
And speaking of lizards -- I'm going to miss my horned toads. There were a lot of babies this year and a lot of them climb up and sit on rocks and watch while I weed around them. They are still only a little over an inch long but if horned toads are on the endangered list somebody should be counting the families in my back yard.
And a bug that eats lizards -- who knew!







No comments: