3/27/2007

Wild West--The Blog


A trip up the Alaska Highway

Wild West--The Blog: Beavis & Me, Part 1: "In 1965, just minutes after receiving a high school diploma that I most certainly didn't deserve, I jumped into my little red '62 Corvair and headed west. I was not going alone. Riding shotgun was a friend. Although Gene Miller was a year older than me (I was 17), he was a year behind me in school. Gene was without doubt one of the scrawniest kids I had ever known. He was about the size and shape of Barney Fife. The two even looked alike. Gene was an incessant smoker, which probably contributed to his puniness and his troubles in a former school. People like to identify with similar people. Since Hoss Cartwright was out, Gene identified with Frank Sinatra, bought all his records, even though the Beetles and Beach Boys were then in vogue, and even tried to croon like his idol, much to the anguish of my ears. But Gene was a trooper; he loved to travel, he had an upbeat personality, and he was the only person I could find who would go with me."

More...:

No comments: