4/22/2007

A celebration of spring



Farmington Daily Times - A celebration of spring:
By Cory Frolik The Daily Times
Article Launched: 04/22/2007 12:00:00 AM MDT"

Photo:Tyrin Begay, 10, from Kayenta, Ariz., sings while playing in a drum circle at the Apple Blossom Contest Powwow at McGee Park on Saturday (Lucas Ian Coshenet/The Daily Times)

"He spun, shook and did everything else that comprises grass dancing, the
type of traditional dance of which he is fond.
Though he didn't need to say
so, Lafferty, who is from Iron Lightning, S.D., explained his talent came from
years of diligence.
"I started when I was 9, and I'm 45 now," he said.
Lafferty has always viewed his dancing ability as a "gift from God."
"I love dancing because of where it came from — my ancestors and the Creator. ...
My mother also put my feet on this powwow trail," he said.
Lafferty wasn't the only talented dancer at the 28th installment of the powwow. Center stage at the McGee Park Memorial Coliseum was crowded with colorful outfits and bright apparel belonging to incredibly coordinated people.
Not far from where Lafferty stood to prepare for his dance routine was Shantaya Begay.
A small, thin girl from Kayenta, Ariz., Begay is only 12 years old but dances with the
practiced precision of someone much older. " More...

No comments: