6/26/2007

Yellow-breasted Chat?


This is a picture of my mystery bird. He perches at the tops of the dead trees and sings a full repertoire of songs. I thought he might be a mocking bird. I have also seen flashes of yellow from a couple of birds in the yard. I got this picture of the one I think is the mocking bird and he is also the one with the yellow. The second picture is a Northern Mockingbird I googled.




I looked up Yellow Mockingbird and found the Yellow Breasted Chat below. They differ -- the one below has yellow breast and white belly -- and wears goggles. But I still haven't figured out for sure what mine is -- only that I don't have 2 mystery birds -- the yellow bellied one and the one I call a mockingbird are the same.






Yellow-breasted Chat - Colorado Division of Wildlife: "Yellow-breasted Chat
Icteria virens


Description: The yellow-breasted chat is much larger than any other warbler. Males and females are similar in appearance with their thick bill, white spectacles, yellow throat and breast, white belly and undertail coverts, olive upperparts, dark legs and fairly long tail. Their coloration is distinct, and they are rarely confused with other birds. They are 6.5 to 7.5 inches in length with a wingspread of nine to 10 inches. They weigh about one ounce. The chat’s call is a harsh jumble of squawks, whistles, and rattles. They attentively sing from the time they arrive on their breeding grounds in the spring until late in July. Males are likely to sing at any time of the day and are well known for singing in the middle of the night. They often sing from the top of a shrub or tree and while in flight. Other names for the yellow-breasted chat are: chat, common chat, long-tailed chat, polyglot chat, yellow chat and yellow mockingbird. "






No comments: